Cooking With Mitch
Instead of swimming, I've spent a lot of time cooking the past month! Here's another one of my favorite healthy recipes.
- 1 lb. ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Italian spices
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and heat oven to 375°.
- Mix tomato paste and water together in a small bowl
- In a large bowl, mix together ground turkey, half of tomato paste mixture, egg, 1 tbsp. Italian spice, and 1 tsp. salt.
- Lay out a large piece of waxed paper and spread turkey meat onto it. Make a rectangle about 8" x 12" and about 1/4" thick
- Sauté onion, red pepper, and garlic over medium high heat until soft.
- Cover turkey meat with basil, then with sautéed vegetables.
- Use wax paper to help roll turkey up and put on cookie sheet. To reduce the amount of fat that collects at the bottom of the meatloaf, you can also place it on a rack set on top of the cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp. Italian spice, garlic powder, and 1 tsp. salt to remaining tomato paste mixture. Brush on top of meat loaf and bake another 10 min